A person who tells anecdotes in a skillful and amusing way; a storyteller; a narrator
I grew up across the street from my grandparents and saw them every day. I considered our relationships very close. However, after they passed away, I realized I had let time slip away without asking some very important questions. It turned out I didn’t know anything about their early years—those before I came into the picture.
Although a lot of us spend time with our loved ones, we may not know them as well as we think. Sure, we might know their go-to recipes and favorite card games, but do we know the answers to the important questions?
Most of us hardly scratch the surface of our loved ones’ life stories. Do you know what your grandmother spent her childhood days dreaming of becoming when she grew up? Do you know about your dad’s wild college days? Do you know where your parents went on their first date?
It’s up to you to ask questions and extract stories. Now is the time to unearth and preserve your loved ones’ personal histories. There’s a heart-wrenching African proverb that says, “Every time an old man dies, a library burns.” And it’s so true.
Don’t let your family’s libraries of memories burn. Ask questions and record answers today.
Below are a few meaningful questions to ask your parents or grandparents:
1. What’s your earliest memory?
2. What special memories do you have with your parents during your childhood?
3. What special memories do you have with your grandparents during your childhood?
4. What was the house you grew up in like?
5. What did you do for fun as a teenager?
6. If you served in the military, what are some experiences you could never forget?
7. How did you meet your spouse?
8. What led you to go into the career you went into?
9. What special activities would you do with your children when they were small?
10. When you look back on your life, what are you most grateful for?
The above list is just the beginning. There are countless other prompts that could lead to newly heard stories. What treasure chest of family stories awaits you? It’s time to find out!